- Credo ut intelligam / Believe to understand (Anselm of Canterbury)
Artes Liberales Education Slogan
- Free education for free people
History Master’s slogan
- Here we learn to ask unusual questions to the past
WHO WE ARE
- Chronological line: Humanities Faculty was established on September 1, 2003. At that time, the only program was the Bachelor’s program in History (20 students).
- Since 2016, three Bachelor’s programs (History, Cultural Studies and Philology) form Artes Liberales (today more than 300 students)
- In 2007 the Master’s History program was created (20 students);
- 1 History PhD program: (13 doctoral students);
- 58 core and 30 invited teachers
- From 98 applicants in 2018, 54 belong to 5% of the best graduates according to the results of EIT in the Ukrainian language, 46 to 5% of the best in history, 26 to 5% of the best in foreign languages
- The average score of EIT applicants Artes Liberales in 2018 is180
- The Humanities Faculty aims to cultivate academic freedom, civic responsibility, partnership and solidarity in the glory of God, the common good and human dignity. Teachers and students of the Faculty work according to the highest academic standards, study traditions and create the future, form a public space for intellectual communication and active life transformation.
- In-depth study of heritage and contemporary culture as well: publishing series In Via, classic languages, medieval and Byzantine studies;
- Creating platforms for inter-institutional and international exchange: Kyiv Christianity program, studies of totalitarian period in the Ukrainian history;
- Unique for Ukraine model of the Artes Liberales Bachelor’s:
- Training approach that provides young specialists a wide base of humanitarian knowledge and the ability to effectively use it in practical activities;
- General skills development: critical and creative thinking, project activities, communication, problem solving;
- Interfaith dialogue and emphasis on the public history of the Kyiv Church, the revival of its ecclesial and religious-cultural tradition;
- Student monument conservation expeditions (restoration of Ukrainian cemeteries in Poland);
- Public lectures in various intellectual scenes;
- Cultural and Creative Industries forum;
- Transformation of Ukrainian education (advanced training for school history teachers);
- Artes Liberales Academy (interdisciplinary program in the humanities) for school students;
- Spelling workshop named after Oleksy Gorbach (academic discussion of the Ukrainian spelling reform);
- Developing standard for knowledge of Ukrainian as a foreign language.
WHOM DO WE TRAIN?
- Scientists who continue their academic studies in Ukraine and abroad;
- Experts in historical, cultural, religious and political studies;
- Managers in cultural institutions (museums, libraries, archives, cultural centers);
- Specialists in Ukrainian language and cultural heritage preservation, dissemination and development;
- Journalists, media experts, publishers;
- Cultural diplomacy figures;
- Specialists in various areas of digital humanities: visual history, computer linguistics, geographic information systems.
IN STEP WITH THE TIMES
- Digital humanities (digital cartography, digital textology, digitization of sources, visual history and culture);
- Modern teaching and learning methods;
- Public history and dialogue with society.