History and mission:
Artes Liberales at UCU is a unique innovative model of three humanitarian specialties interaction (History, Cultural Studies and Philology) which allows students to freely build their own interdisciplinary studying paths, as well as learn practical skills necessary for professional work in any field. The interdisciplinary educational model includes Bachelor’s History program established in 2003 and two newly created specialties (Philology and Cultural Studies). The new programs were licensed by the MES in June 2016. The first intake of students at Artes Liberales program took place in July-August 2016.
The concept of Artes Liberales educational model combines tradition of a classical university and educational innovation. In traditional sense of the term, Artes Liberales (Seven Liberal Arts) is a complex of knowledge and skills necessary for a free person in order to take a conscious and active part in professional, public, and political fields. It’s evident that the specialized and professionally oriented higher education that dominates in Ukraine no longer meets the requirements of the times. The situation in the modern labor market is changing very dynamically, therefore educational programs aimed at the formation of specific professional skills rapidly lose relevance. But the popularity of education in the spirit of the Liberal Arts (or Artes Liberales) is increasing because of its focus on general knowledge and skills, the development of critical and creative thinking, learning project activities and problem solving.
Our curriculum consists of basic Artes Liberales subjects (25%), professional courses (45%) and electives (30%). Basic courses are aimed to fill in the gaps within the education of secondary school graduates and prepare them for intensive professional studies. These courses include English and Latin, a course of rhetoric and academic writing, anthropology, logic and critical thinking, modern literature, a general introduction to the study of world civilizations and the history and culture of Ukraine. In addition, students have the opportunity to build an individual academic path with selective courses. The curriculum offers the following educational blocks:
Disciplines of Free Choice.2.1 – humanitarian, art and cultural disciplines (for example courses History of Literature, Contemporary Art, Visual Culture: Cinema);
Disciplines of Free Choice.2.2 – human and social sciences (e.g. Modern Political Ideas, Global Migration and Multiculturalism, EU: Unity in Diversity);
Disciplines of Free Choice.2.3 – philosophy (e.g. Medieval Christian Philosophy, Structuralist and Post-structuralist Philosophy, Philosophical Anthropology);
Disciplines of Free Choice. 2.4. – optional professional disciplines;
Disciplines of Free Choice.2.5 – electives offered by the University.
The interdisciplinary Artes Liberales approach has the following advantages over traditional Bachelor’s programs:
- Quality humanitarian education. An intensive curriculum provides an opportunity for in-depth studies of foreign languages, history, literature, philosophy, theology and general scientific disciplines;
- Freedom of choice, individual studying paths. Students have the right to change their chosen specialty after the first two semesters as well as use the related programs resources. Electives make up at least 30% of the curriculum;
- Organization of independent study under the guidance of an individual leader (tutor). Tutoring for AL students means interaction with a mentor that helps them navigate university life, effectively use university resources, avoid or solve crisis situations;
- Emphasis on general knowledge and skills, development of critical and creative thinking, skills in project activities and problem solving. These are the skills that will be in demand by employers in the coming decades.
Possible careers for AL graduates:
- Further education at Master’s programs in Ukraine and abroad;
- Serving in expert organizations which study political, socio-economic, historical, cultural and religious processes;
- Teaching in secondary and post-secondary educational institutions;
- Studying historical sources and using them in museum, archival, administrative areas;
- Work in cultural institutions: cultural centers, museums, libraries, archives (curator, archivist, researcher);
- Work in the field of national and international cultural and social projects related to the preservation, dissemination and development of the Ukrainian language (translator, project curator, speechwriter);
- Work in publishing business (editor, scientific editor, proofreader, rewriter);
- Work in media and journalism (copywriter, columnist, correspondent, editor, scientific consultant, author of articles);
- Engaging in the revitalization of abandoned historical sites (urban sites, settlements, historical and cultural reserves);
- Career in the field of tourism and travel organization;
- Work in the field of cultural diplomacy: representing the state, establishing friendly and productive interstate relations through cultural relations.
Пн - пт 10:00-18:00
Контакти приймальної комісії
Пн - пт 10:00-18:00